The man accused of sparking the devastating Palisades Fire pleaded not guilty Wednesday to reduced federal charges, weeks after the initial case against him ended in a mistrial.
Jonathan Rinderknecht, 30 — who appeared in court dressed in a beige jumpsuit and sporting a beard with shackles around his waist — stood beside his attorney as he was asked if he understood the charges against him.
“Yes,” the accused arsonist replied, saying he did not need to have the charges read aloud.
The first count against Rinderknecht accuses him of starting the Lachman Fire on New Year’s Day 2025, while the second count alleges he caused the destruction that followed when the blaze reignited and became the deadly Palisades Fire.
A third count of setting timber on fire was dropped, after prosecutors announced the move last week.
Outside the court house, Rinderknecht’s attorney Steve Haney addressed the shift in strategy by the prosecution.
“What are they going to do? They can’t go in and have the same trial after such an overwhelming statement from the jury,” he said of the earlier mistrial.
“They changed their charging so they could change the playing field and have a better chance for conviction for the second trial, but I’m confident they will have the same challenges at the second trial that they had at the first,” he added.
During Rinderknecht’s initial trial in June, prosecutors tried to prove that the the suspect was indeed responsible for both fires.
“I really felt like, ‘What are we doing here?’ You’re supposed to be presenting this case to me to convict that man, and I felt like that doesn’t make sense. You’re making me feel like he’s more and more innocent with each fact,” one juror told reporters after the trial.
That case ended with the jury deadlocked 10-2 in favor of acquittal.
Jurors were unable to reach a unanimous verdict despite being sent back to deliberate, with the foreman ultimately telling the judge there was nothing the court could do to help them reach an agreement.
“There is no direct evidence that he started a fire on January 1st. That’s the challenge. Its all circumstantial,” Haney said.
The government’s case at trial centered on cellphone records, surveillance footage and Rinderknecht’s behavior after the blaze. Prosecutors said he had visited a trail in the area “hundreds of times” and allegedly used a green Bic lighter later found in his car.
Rinderknecht repeatedly called 911 after the blaze erupted.
“There’s a fire, there’s a fire,” Rinderknecht could be heard saying in the 911 call. “There’s a fire a top of Pacific Palisades Highlands.”
The Palisades Fire destroyed thousands of homes in Pacific Palisades and parts of Malibu, killed 12 people, and caused $150 billion in damages.
Haney has repeatedly called his client “a scapegoat,” and many Angelenos have pointed the finger at the fire department and government officials over accusations of mismanagement. Mayor Karen Bass was in Ghana when the fire erupted, despite severe wind warnings ahead of the inferno.
The judge has ruled that attorneys are not allowed to explore the city’s response to the blaze.
“I cannot mention the negligence of the LA fire department. It’s not allowed. It’s not a defense,” Haney stated.
Rinderknecht’s new trial start date was moved from October 19 to November 2. He remains in custody and held on no bail.
“Jonathan is still facing substantial prison time. But he’s confident, feeling positive, I think he sees a lot of hope about what happened at the first trial,” Haney said.

By New York Post (U.S.) | Created at 2026-08-19 21:05:53 | Updated at 2026-08-19 21:22:00
16 minutes ago








