Brit tourist, 54, dies a week after gas explosion destroyed his B&B in Rome leaving loved-ones 'distraught'

By Daily Mail (World News) | Created at 2025-04-01 15:10:19 | Updated at 2025-04-04 06:07:12 2 days ago

A British tourist has died from his injuries after a suspected gas explosion destroyed his B&B in Rome.

54-year-old Grant Paterson, from East Kilbride, was fighting for his life at Sant'Eugenio Hospital in the Italian capital after blast on March 22.

He was pulled from the rubble by mercy crews but suffered burns to 75 per cent of his body, according to reports. 

His family, including his daughter, joined him in Italy last Monday before he underwent his first operation to remove burnt debris from his body, according to the Daily Record.

Doctors were scheduled to perform surgery to replace his damaged skin with that of a donor last week. 

However, it was today confirmed that he has now passed away. 

Paterson, who arrived in Rome a few days before the building collapsed, was described as a 'true gentleman' by former colleagues at ferry operator CalMac.

Diane Burke, the company's Chief Operating Officer, said: 'Everyone at CalMac is distraught that Grant has passed away. He was a true gentleman and a credit to MV Clansman, the vessel he served aboard.

Facebook picture of Grant Paterson in Rome

Emergency workers at the building after the suspected gas leak

Workers spent nearly an hour trying to free Paterson before rushing him to hospital

'During a distinguished 12-year career with us, he embodied the very best of CalMac and, with his larger-than-life character, he was much-loved by colleagues and passengers alike.

'Our thoughts are with Grant's friends and family at this extremely difficult time.'

The Glasgow Shipping Branch of the RMT union said on social media: 'The thoughts and prayers of all at the Glasgow Shipping Branch are with the family and friends of our branch member Grant Paterson who has tragically passed away following an accident on holiday. 

'Fair winds and following seas.'

Chris Gibson, another CalMac employee, said: 'Devastated at the news today that Grant Paterson has lost his battle for survival. RIP and fair winds. You will be sorely missed big guy.'

A fundraiser to support Paterson's family while they are in Rome has raised over £11,000, despite the initial target being £1,000.

One donor, who called themselves Loraine Foy, said: 'So sorry to hear what happened. I saw you two weeks ago after not seeing you for many years, we had a lovely chat and you said how much you were looking forward to the trip. Thinking of you.'

Rome Mayor Roberto Gualtieri has ordered a probe into the building's collapse, which saw emergency crews scramble to the scene after the alarm was raised.

He said: 'Initial findings seem to indicate that it was a gas leak, perhaps from a cylinder that exploded, causing very significant damage.

'There is one injured person. He is reportedly a guest of an accommodation facility, and investigations are under way into the B&B.'

The State Attorney's Office in Rome has opened a probe against 'unknown persons' as well as seizing the building, according to Italian media.

The B&B, named Mamma Roma, was situated in busy neighbourhood of Monteverde, in southwest Rome

Rome Mayor Roberto Gualtieri has ordered a probe into the building's collapse

Gualtieri visiting the scene of the devastation

The B&B, named Mamma Roma, was situated in busy neighbourhood of Monteverde, in southwest Rome. 

It was believed to be a former stables which had been converted into a guest house. 

Posts on his Facebook page showed he had previously visited the Colosseum and the Trevi Fountain on his solo trip. He had been due to return on March 24.

In a written post, he said: 'Arrived in Rome, trains planes, buses and foot... Accommodation is beautiful. This should be a good week... if I don't get killed in some ungodly way...'

Emergency workers reported hearing cries coming from the rubble of the property and spent nearly an hour trying to free him before rushing him to hospital.

A witness told Rai television news: 'I was stopped at the traffic lights at the intersection when I heard an explosion. It was like a bomb, a terrifying bomb.'

Another witness, who lives on the same street, compared the blast to a bomb going off as all her windows started to shake. 

Police set up an exclusion zone round the blast site following the explosion as a precaution.

The wall of a nearby villa was also damaged in the incident.

A spokesperson for the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) told MailOnline: 'We are supporting the family of a British man who died in Italy and are in touch with the local authorities.'

Read Entire Article