Disney has sued Donald Trump's FCC over a 'retaliatory campaign' against ABC that includes a license review of its stations and a probe into The View.
The lawsuit filed Tuesday in DC District Court alleges the administration is trying to punish ABC for speech it dislikes and is violating its First Amendment rights.
'Acting through the Federal Communications Commission, the Administration has waged a retaliatory campaign against ABC for a single reason: it disapproves of what ABC broadcasts,' the suit states.
The action seeks a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction to halt the FCC's license-renewal process for ABC's eight owned stations.
Those stations were ordered to file early renewal applications in April, years ahead of schedule, after Jimmy Kimmel joked that Melania Trump had 'a glow like an expectant widow' and the president demanded the late-night host be fired.
The White House claimed it was violent rhetoric after a shooting at the White House Correspondents' Dinner, while Kimmel said it was a joke about the couple's age gap.
ABC executives had already viewed an earlier FCC probe into Disney's DEI practices as pushback against commentary on Kimmel's show and The View.
A separate FCC inquiry is examining whether The View still qualifies for an exemption from equal-time rules that require broadcasters to offer opposing political candidates airtime.
The View's Whoopi Goldberg appears on a recent episode
Trump demanded Kimmel's firing in April after the host mocked the president's age and joked about his wife Melania, saying: 'Mrs. Trump, you have a glow like an expectant widow'
Trump delivers the State of the Union address in the House Chamber of the US Capitol in Washington, DC, on February 24
Losing that exemption could make it harder for the daytime show to book candidates without giving equal time to every opponent.
The View currently qualifies for the exemption because it is considered a bona fide news program.
FCC Chairman Brendan Carr has said the license review is about DEI initiatives, not speech, and that the equal-time probe simply enforces existing congressional rules.
Trump has repeatedly called for ABC's licenses to be revoked and has publicly attacked the network's coverage and hosts.
Disney argues an adverse outcome in any FCC license hearing is 'all but guaranteed' and that the pressure amounts to a threat meant to intimidate the media industry.
License revocations linked to programming are rare. The last such case was in 1969, when a Jackson, Mississippi, station lost its license for defending segregation.
Disney CEO Josh D'Amaro told CNBC last week the company would stand by its journalistic integrity.
'We're not going to be told how to run that side of our business,' he said.
The Daily Mail has contacted the FCC for comment.

By Daily Mail (U.S.) | Created at 2026-08-18 13:13:59 | Updated at 2026-08-18 14:43:29
1 hour ago







