Drug dealer pleads guilty to killing schoolboy, 7, after cannabis blast tore through six flats

By GB News (World News) | Created at 2025-04-03 12:15:50 | Updated at 2025-04-04 08:01:43 20 hours ago

A drug dealer has admitted killing a seven-year-old boy and a man in his 30s after a cannabis production explosion tore through six flats in Newcastle.

Reece Galbraith, 33, pleaded guilty to two counts of manslaughter at Newcastle Crown Court earlier today.


Archie York/Reece Galbraith \u200b

Archie York died in the explosion caused by Reece Galbraith

PA

Archie York

Archie York, seven, was killed in the explosion

Family handout

Prosecutors revealed the explosion was caused by some of the 100 butane gas used to process drugs at the property.

Galbraith's fingerprints were found on items recovered from the destroyed flat, which prosecutors described as a "drug lab".

The court heard that police had previously stopped Galbraith's car in April last year and found drugs. A subsequent search of his home uncovered moulds used to make cannabis sweets.

Analysis of his mobile phone revealed 80 text messages relating to the sale of cannabis sweets.

\u200bEmergency services at the scene at Violet Close in Benwell, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne

Emergency services at the scene at Violet Close in Benwell, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne

PA

Archie's mother Katherine told the Newcastle Chronicle earlier this week: "As a parent and as a mother you try your best to keep your children safe, and that was took out of my hands."

"When they are in the house, that's supposed to be the safest place."

Galbraith suffered severe injuries in the explosion that killed Archie and Laws. His defence lawyer said: "He doesn't have full use of his arms due to burns. He is weak and feeble."

Before the incident, Galbraith had been in regular employment in construction until the age of 31. Judge Paul Sloan KC remanded Galbraith in custody after his guilty pleas.

The judge told the defendant: "As you will be aware you face a significant, immediate custodial sentence."

Reece Galbraith

Reece Galbraith changed his plea to guilty for the manslaughter of seven-year-old Archie York and Jason "Jay" Laws

PA

Galbraith had previously denied the manslaughter charges and was due to go on trial next month. He appeared at Newcastle Crown Court via prison videolink to change his pleas to guilty. His sentencing has been scheduled for May 14.

Head of the Complex Casework Unit for CPS North East Christopher Atkinson said: "Our thoughts remain with the family of Archie York, whose tragic death last year shocked the community of Benwell.

"It is clear from the evidence in this case that the explosion which took Archie’s life was caused by a build-up of butane in the address used by Jason Laws, who also died in the blast.

"That address had been the site of an illegal operation producing a highly concentrated form of cannabis, through a dangerous process involving the use of large quantities of flammable butane gas."

Newcastle explosion aftermathImages show the extent of the devastation after the firePA

Detective Chief Inspector Katie Smith, of Northumbria Police, said: "This is a truly tragic case in which two people died, including young Archie who had his whole life ahead of him.

"Our thoughts remain with his family, friends and all those who have been left heartbroken by what has happened.

"At a time of unimaginable tragedy, the community has come together to support each other and provide the information we needed for such a complex investigation.

"The tireless work of all involved left Reece Galbraith with little choice but to plead guilty to all charges in the face of overwhelming evidence."

Read Entire Article