Myanmar earthquake death toll passes 3,000

By Deutsche Welle (Asia) | Created at 2025-04-03 09:50:03 | Updated at 2025-04-04 21:22:04 1 day ago

The number of people killed as a result of last week's major earthquake in the Southeast Asian country of Myanmar has passed 3,000.

The military-led government gave its official death toll of 3,085, although the number of deaths reported in local media has been much higher.

The new official figures came as junta chief Min Aung Hlaing was set to head to a regional summit in Thailand, the invitation marking a diplomatic win for the isolated military regime.

How many people were affected by the earthquake in Myanmar?

The 7.7-magnitude earthquake struck close to Myanmar's second-largest city Mandalay last Friday.

It toppled buildings and destroyed key infrastructure across the country. The response has been hampered by the ongoing civil war that was sparked by the military taking power from the democratically-elected civilian government in 2021.

The quake displaced more than 3 million people. According to the UN, some 20 million were already in need of humanitarian aid before it struck.

The military joined resistance groups in calling for a temporary ceasefire until April 22 to allow for humanitarian aid to get to those who need it.

Myanmar's rulers declare ceasefire to aid relief effort

What has been Myanmar's response to the earthquake?

It is expected that the death toll could spike rapidly as more information comes out of hard-to-reach places where telecommunication lines were knocked out.

A week after the quake, many people in Myanmar remain in dire need with many still having to sleep outside as their homes have been completely or partially destroyed.

The World Health Organization said that one in three houses in the town of Sagaing, less than 15 kilometers (9 miles) from the epicenter, had been destroyed.

Civilian-organized aid convoys packed the roads leading into Sagaing.

"People passing by on the road have generously donated water and food to us. We rely solely on their kindness," 63-year-old nun Aye Thikar, who has been helping distribute aid, told news agency AFP.

Junta chief to take part in regional summit

Thailand — where 22 people were killed when the earthquake brought down a 30-story skyscraper in Bangkok — is hosting a regional summit on Thursday.

The BIMSTEC summit brings together leaders from Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Myanmar, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Thailand. Thursday's invitation to Myanmar's military chief breaks with the policy of not inviting members of the junta to major diplomatic events.

Thailand has proposed that the members issue a joint statement on the disaster on Friday.

Years of conflict compound Myanmar quake disaster

Edited by: Wesley Dockery

Read Entire Article