Palworld devs eyeing Switch 2 release despite ongoing Nintendo lawsuit

By Dexerto | Created at 2025-03-25 02:00:56 | Updated at 2025-04-04 00:02:41 1 week ago

Palworld devs are considering a release for Nintendo Switch 2 as they want the game to be “on more handhelds if possible.” This development comes amid their ongoing lawsuit with Nintendo and The Pokemon Company.

Palworld debuted in early access on January 19, 2024, and it quickly took off in terms of player count, climbing up the Steam charts in just a matter of weeks.

Often dubbed as “Pokemon with guns”, the monster-taming title allows you to collect a plethora of Pals to fight alongside you and help you build your dream base. Though the comparison may be a little too close for comfort, as Nintendo joined up with The Pokemon Company to sue Palworld for infringement.

Despite still being in the midst of this active lawsuit, devs are providing major content additions to the game, and with Switch 2’s release on the horizon, they’ve given fans quite another exciting update

Palworld devs are interested in a Nintendo Switch 2 release

In an interview with IGN, Pocketpair’s communications director, John “Bucky” Buckley, clarified that Palworld being a “beefy” game makes it hard to port over on the current Switch. “If we could make the game work on the Switch, we would, but Palworld is a beefy game,” he said.

nintendo switch 2 scalpersNintendo

Little is known about the Switch 2’s specs thus far, but if it’s solid enough, we could see Palworld running on Nintendo hardware before long.

Of course, it’s understandable considering the Nintendo Switch is eight years old. The upcoming Nintendo Switch 2, however, which is rumored to have solid third-party support, is a different story.

Bucky said that devs are interested in bringing the title to Switch 2, but they haven’t gotten a chance to see if a port is even “possible” yet.

“We haven’t seen those specs yet. Like everyone else, we’re waiting. I’m walking around GDC hoping someone will tell me [about] them, but everyone I’ve spoken to says they haven’t even seen them.”

He noted that if “it’s beefy enough,” then it’s “100% worth considering.” He also explained that the team did a lot of optimization with the Steam Deck and was really happy with it.

“Still work to do, but we’re really happy with how it turned out. So we would like to get it on more handhelds if possible.”

As of now, it remains unknown how the lawsuit may impact this possible release. The process may be tricky, but it’s worth noting that last year, Pocketpair managed to release its rogue-like Overdungeon card game on the Nintendo Switch. With that in mind, it appears that Nintendo isn’t completely ruling the studio out on the platform.

Read Entire Article