Pensioner left worried £15,000 of state pension had been 'lost' after being 'let down by chaotic system'

By GB News (World News) | Created at 2025-03-22 13:49:16 | Updated at 2025-04-06 15:14:52 2 weeks ago

A 66-year-old pensioner handed over £15,000 to top up his state pension but was left waiting four months without confirmation of receipt.

Christopher Dehn, who lives in Portugal, made the payment in November and grew increasingly concerned as weeks passed with no acknowledgement.


The retired business owner feared his substantial sum had become "lost" in what he described as a "chaotic" system.

Dehn contacted the Government twice after making his payment, only to be told to "be patient and wait".

DWP

The retired business owner feared his substantial sum had become "lost" in what he described as a "chaotic" system

PA

He added that his poor health meant he was relying on the increased monthly payments to help with medical expenses in Portugal.

"Now I have neither the £15,000 nor the increased payments," he said.

Former Pensions Minister Steve Webb criticised the system's administration, saying: "Those who administer the system need to understand how it feels to be on the other side."

Webb, now a partner at pension consultant LCP, added that employing more people to process payments would be more cost-effective than having call handlers who can't properly track payments.

\u200bFormer pensions minister Steve Webb

Former Pensions Minister Steve Webb criticised the system's administration, saying: "Those who administer the system need to understand how it feels to be on the other side"

PA

The Department for Work and Pensions and HMRC have since contacted Dehn.

His contributions were allocated, his state pension revised, and arrears processed within five working days.

Dehn received a backpayment of around £2,000, with his weekly pension increasing from £63.74 to £176.96.

The DWP and HMRC explained that Dehn did not indicate which years he wanted the money allocated to or inform them he lived abroad.

They noted he should have applied using the CF83 online form for people living overseas.

A Government spokesperson said: "Our new online tool will mean that people are able to make top-up payments after the April 5 deadline, provided they complete the call back request form ahead of that date."

Read Entire Article