Philippines disputes China’s arrest of alleged Filipino spies

By South China Morning Post | Created at 2025-04-05 09:46:33 | Updated at 2025-04-05 21:32:40 11 hours ago

The Philippines expressed alarm on Saturday over the arrest of three Filipinos in China on suspicion of espionage, saying they were ordinary citizens and the arrests could be retaliation for Manila’s crackdown against alleged Chinese spies.

Chinese authorities arrested the Filipinos and accused them of working for the Philippine intelligence agency to gather classified information on its military, the state-run China Daily reported earlier this week, citing state security officials. It said the three had confessed to the crime.

The Philippines’ National Security Council disputed Beijing’s accusations, saying the three were former recipients of a government scholarship programme created under an agreement between the southern Chinese province of Hainan and the western Philippine province of Palawan.

“They are ordinary Filipino citizens with no military training who merely went to China at the invitation of the Chinese government to study,” National Security Council spokesperson Jonathan Malaya said in a statement.

“They are law-abiding citizens with no criminal records and were vetted and screened by the Chinese government prior to their arrival there,” he added.

 AFP

Chinese nationals (background third right and right) and their alleged Philippine accomplices (second left to fourth left), arrested for alleged espionage, presented behind (seated left to right) Armed Forces of the Philippines Public Affairs Office chief Colonel Xerxes Trinidad, National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) chief Jaime Santiago, NBI deputy chief for operations Antonio Pagatpat, and cybercrime unit chief Jeremy Lotoc during a press conference at the NBI office in Manila on February 25. Photo: AFP

The Chinese embassy in Manila did not immediately respond to a request for comment outside office hours.

Read Entire Article