Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s UK move is ‘huge slap in the face’ to William, creates ‘serious risks’ for monarchy

By Page Six | Created at 2026-08-20 02:51:07 | Updated at 2026-08-20 03:21:18 2 hours ago

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s impending move back to the UK after six years in Southern California is going to create headaches for Prince William, Page Six hears.

“It’s a huge slap in the face for William, and it does also create serious risks for the monarchy,” royal reporter Tom Sykes told Page Six following news that the Harry and Markle will head back across the Atlantic later this month.

Sykes said that, given the longstanding feud between the brothers, the move will create a “huge succession” of additional “challenges” for the Prince of Wales.

“What is gonna happen if Charles invites Harry to join the royal family for Christmas? What is gonna happen if Harry wants to attend the Remembrance Day celebrations?” he asked.

The reporter added that, in his opinion, there is “no way” King Charles III “did not know” the move was happening. A source confirmed to Page Six Wednesday that the monarch learned of Harry and Markle’s intentions Sunday.

Royal reporter Tom Sykes told Page Six Wednesday that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s plan to move back to the UK will present challenges to Prince William and the royal family. (Markle, Harry and William are pictured above with Kate Middleton in 2018.) Getty Images
Sykes said the couple’s move back creates “serious risks for the monarchy.” The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are seen here at an event earlier this month. The David Foster Foundation via Getty Images

The author also explained that he feels it’s “a very very dangerous situation” that Charles “allowed himself to be manipulated into welcoming them home,” noting that “there’s no way that the late Queen Elizabeth II would’ve allowed this to happen.”

Still, Sykes explained, the relocation — which Page Six confirmed will be for “an extended period” — “is a huge moment for Harry and Megan” and their children, Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5, who will be enrolled in school there.

Sykes explained that while he did suspect “something was afoot” with the couple, he “never imagined it would be anything of this magnitude or they’d be happening this quickly.”

The author called the idea that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be relocating by the end of the month “quite extraordinary.”

Sykes called the plan “a huge slap in the face for William,” seen here with Kate Middleton, Harry and Markle in 2022. Getty Images
Sykes said it presents a “huge succession” of additional “challenges” for Prince William. He’s seen here with Prince Harry, Markle and Middleton in 2018. Getty Images

Prince Harry and his wife famously left the UK in 2020 and giving up their roles as working members of the British royal family in a move dubbed “Megxit.”

They subsequently relocated to an expansive estate in Montecito, California, where they’ve been raising Archie and Lilibet, and we’re told they won’t be selling the $14.5 million estate there.

Sources told Page Six on Wednesday that Harry and Markle made the decision to be closer to King Charles and to give their children the opportunity to build family relationships.

Markle found mixed success in Southern California with her lifestyle brand, As Ever, and as the host of her own Netflix series, “With Love, Meghan,” which ran for two seasons.

Still, Sykes said he feels it’s “very clear the things haven’t worked out in America the way they thought they would” and suggested there may be financial motivations for the family moving back to Prince Harry’s homeland.


Here’s the latest on Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s shocking move back to the U.K. after 6 years in the U.S.


Sykes told us things “haven’t worked out in America” for Prince Harry and Markle, pictured above at a previous event, “the way they thought they would.”
Prince Harry, seen above with Markle in 2022, previously said he couldn’t “see a world” where he moved back to his homeland. Getty Images

“I think if there was another hundred-million-dollar deal on the table they wouldn’t be rushing home,” Sykes told us.

Prince Harry had previously said in 2025 that he “can’t see a world in which I would bring my wife and children back to the UK at this point,” as he continues to wait for a review of his security by Government committee Ravec.

The news of the couples’ move back to England comes after Prince Harry’s reunion with his father — who is living with cancer — in July.

Harry previously told the BBC last year, “I don’t know how much longer my father has.”

Welcome to the Page Six Community!

Our community is about connecting people through open and thoughtful conversations. We want our readers to share their views and exchange ideas in a safe space.

In order to do so, we've created a simple set of rules that will improve your experience.

Simply put, keep it civil.

Your post will/might be rejected if it contains:

  • Spam
  • Insults, profanity, incoherent, obscene or inflammatory language and threats of any kind
  • Attacks on the identity of other commenters or the article's author

User accounts will/might be blocked if we notice:

  • Continuous attempts to re-post comments that have been previously moderated/rejected
  • Racist, sexist, or homophobic comments
  • Attempts or tactics that put the site security at risk

So, how can you be a power user?

  • Stay on topic and share your passion. Feel free to elaborate to get your point across.
  • 'Like' or 'Dislike' when you are filled with emotions!
  • Protect your community. Use the report tool to alert us when someone breaks the rules.

Thanks for reading our community guidelines. Don't forget, freedom of speech is not the freedom of reach!

Read Entire Article