Scientists Trapped in Antarctica Plead For Help as Violence Breaks Out

By American Renaissance | Created at 2025-03-20 22:52:03 | Updated at 2025-04-05 12:27:47 2 weeks ago

Posted on March 20, 2025

Jordan King, Newsweek, March 17, 2025

group of South African scientists has pleaded for help, saying they are trapped in an isolated base on a cliff edge in Antarctica with a team member who has become violent.

One of the team has been accused of assault and threatening violence against his colleagues, according to the South African newspaper The Sunday Times. South Africa’s environment minister confirmed that an assault had taken place.

{snip}

The overwintering team, a group that remains in a remote and extreme environment during winter months, knew that 10 of their 15 months at the base would be spent in isolation but may now be in danger from one of their own members, who has been accused of being mentally unstable.

{snip}

South Africa’s isolated Sanae IV Antarctic base is cut off from the world for the next 10 months because of the winter weather.

A member of the overwintering team has reportedly sent an email to the South African government accusing another team member of physical and sexual assault.

{snip}

The writer called the man’s behavior “deeply disturbing” and said he had created an “environment of fear and intimidation.”

“I remain deeply concerned about my own safety, constantly wondering if I might become the next victim,” they said.

Concerns had been raised about this team member’s behavior before this point, The Sunday Times reports, when there was still an opportunity for the SA Agulhas II to evacuate the team member before it departed Antarctica.

The only way to leave the base now is through emergency medical evacuation to a German base around 186 miles away, according to two sources with inside knowledge, as cited by South African media.

Trapped Antarctic scientists beg for help after ‘assault and death threats’ from colleague A South African research team in Antarctica is stuck there for the next 10 months without a way to leave with a crew member who has allegedly become erratic and violent.

Maybe next time… pic.twitter.com/knL0iIs4fO

— Art Vandelay (@nononomoreon) March 18, 2025

{snip}

Read Entire Article