Trump's damning silence dooms scandal-scarred Cory Mills as he loses seat amid sex extortion accusations

By Daily Mail (U.S.) | Created at 2026-08-19 03:15:57 | Updated at 2026-08-20 04:07:51 1 day ago

By SAMANTHA LOREN, US POLITICAL REPORTER

Published: 01:13 BST, 19 August 2026 | Updated: 01:32 BST, 19 August 2026

Scandal-plagued Florida congressman Cory Mills has been ousted after President Trump abandoned him in the final days before Tuesday's primary.

NBC News called the race for former local TV anchor Ryan Elijah shortly after 8 pm eastern.  

Mills’s loss was celebrated by Democratic pollster Adam Carlson on X, who wrote, ‘This effectively takes the seat off the board for Democrats, but frankly what Cory Mills did was so heinous that I’m glad he’s paying an electoral punishment for it.’

Mills spent the final stretch of his reelection campaign under a cloud of allegations involving domestic violence, sexual misconduct, campaign finance and financial issues, misuse of congressional resources and questions surrounding his military record, including accusations of 'stolen valor.'

Trump had given Mills his 'Complete and Total Endorsement' in February, calling him an 'America First Patriot.'

But in the final days before Tuesday's primary, Trump reiterated his support for a slate of Florida Republicans — and conspicuously left Mills off the list.

The omission was notable.

Mills had repeatedly leaned on that backing as a central argument for his reelection. Trump was backing other Florida Republicans while saying nothing about the incumbent.

And Trump was not the only prominent Republican to distance himself.

Gov. Ron DeSantis, who has largely stayed out of Florida's Republican congressional primaries, said Friday: 'I do not support Cory Mills.'

Congressman Cory Mills pictured with President Trump and his longtime wife, Rana Al Saadi. Trump had given Mills his 'Complete and Total Endorsement' in February, but did not mention his name in a slew of recent Florida endorsements

Mills is facing allegations of campaign finance violations, misuse of congressional resources, and sexual misconduct

Police were called to the scene by 27-year-old Sarah Raviani (above), who accused Mills of grabbing, shoving and pushing her out of his apartment

Mills has denied wrongdoing across the various allegations. The House Ethics Committee has been investigating Mills for two years, along with the Justice Department, although the nature and scope of that probe remain unclear.

The allegations have included a 2025 police report in which his then-girlfriend, Sarah Raviani, accused Mills of grabbing, shoving and pushing her out of his apartment.

Mills called the allegation 'patently false,' while Raviani later said there had been no physical altercation and characterized the incident as a personal matter.

Former Miss United States Lindsey Langston also told Florida authorities that Mills threatened her after their relationship ended in February 2025.

According to a sheriff's report, Langston alleged that Mills repeatedly threatened to release nude photographs and videos of her and threatened men she intended to date. Mills denied the allegations and said they misrepresented the nature of their interactions.

The scrutiny intensified as Mills' longtime chief of staff and chief counsel, Catherine Treadwell, abruptly resigned in July, ending her resignation letter with the line: 'The horrors persist, but I do not.'

Read Entire Article