US cyber expert Wang Xiaofeng ‘is safe’, source says, after FBI raids

By South China Morning Post | Created at 2025-04-02 14:01:20 | Updated at 2025-04-04 01:55:36 1 day ago

US cybersecurity expert Wang Xiaofeng “is safe”, a fellow researcher in China said on Wednesday, declining to comment further on the whereabouts of the professor targeted by the FBI.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation raided Wang’s two homes in Indiana on Friday, the same day that his employer, Indiana University Bloomington (IUB), terminated his job.

Wang was a tenured professor of computer science, engineering and informatics.

His whereabouts and the reason for the searches remain unknown.

However, according to an undated, one-page statement circulating among Wang’s colleagues, he had been investigated by the university for not disclosing his involvement in a research grant in China.

The Post was unable to verify the source or the details of the statement.

Read Entire Article