US moves to revoke all visas for South Sudanese nationals

By Deutsche Welle (World News) | Created at 2025-04-05 23:20:43 | Updated at 2025-04-06 18:48:40 20 hours ago

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Saturday said that he is taking actions to revoke all visas held by South Sudanese passport holders and to restrict any further issuance to prevent entry into the United States.

The reason for the move is the failure of South Sudan's transitional government to accept the return of its repatriated citizens in a timely manner, Rubio said on social media.

"I am taking actions to revoke all visas held by South Sudanese passport holders and to restrict any further issuance to prevent entry into the United States, effective immediately, due to the failure of South Sudan's transitional government to accept the return of its repatriated citizens in a timely manner," he wrote.

However, Washington "will be prepared to review these actions when South Sudan is in full cooperation," Rubio added in a statement.

It was the first such measure to single out all passport holders from a particular country since Donald Trump, who campaigned on an anti-immigration platform, returned to the White House on January 20.

South Sudan on the brink

South Sudan experienced a brutal civil war after it gained independence from its northern neighbor in 2011.

President Salva Kiir and his opponent Vice President Riek Machar formed a transitional government in 2020.

But the transitional government — and a peace deal that largely ended the fighting — is teetering on the brink of collapse after forces loyal to Kiir placed Machar under house arrest last month.

Fears grow of return to civil war in South Sudan

Edited by: Zac Crellin

Read Entire Article