A magnitude-4.8 earthquake struck southern Spain on Tuesday, forcing hotels to evacuate and leaving three people injured.
The quake hit Granada at around 10.38am, sending debris crashing into streets and causing cracks in buildings across the popular tourist city.
Its epicentre was in the town of Alhendin, around six miles south of Granada, according to Spain's National Geographical Institute.
Three people were lightly injured, including a girl who was taken to hospital, said Antonio Sanz, Andalusia's top emergencies official.
Hotels were evacuated following the quake, along with council buildings open to the public, while parts of the famous Alhambra tourist attraction were also cleared.
Nevada Shopping, a shopping centre in the city, was also evacuated.
Emergency services received more than 100 calls reporting damage, including falling debris and cracks in buildings.
Videos posted on social media showed rubble strewn across streets and damage to cars.
'Everything came crashing down. It was terrifying,' Cristina Ruiz Lopez, a lab worker who was in a supermarket when the earthquake struck, wrote on X.
The quake came just days after a magnitude-5.0 tremor woke residents shortly after 1am on Saturday.
A fallen tree branch lies atop a damaged vehicle on a street in the aftermath of an earthquake that struck southern Spain, in Granada, Spain, August 18, 2026
Debris lies scattered on a street in the aftermath of an earthquake that struck southern Spain, in Granada
Pictured: Spilt wine on the floor of a supermarket following the earthquake
Pictured: Damage caused to a car by falling branches following the quake
A damaged wall of a building is cordorned off in the aftermath of an earthquake that struck southern Spain, in Granada
Cracks on a damaged tower in the aftermath of an earthquake that struck southern Spain, in Granada
No injuries were reported following the earlier earthquake, although some buildings were damaged.
Andalusia's president Juanma Moreno warned locals and tourists that further seismic activity and aftershocks were possible.
He wrote on X: 'Once again, an earthquake shakes Granada. Maximum CAUTION.
'Experts point out that seismic movements and aftershocks may continue in the area, and it is important to know how we should act in these situations.
'Let's follow the advice and remain calm, please.'
Staff from the four-star Barcelona Carmen Granada were pictured standing in the street in the moments after the quake.
A spokesman for the Junta de Andalucia-run emergency response centre, citing an initial magnitude of 4.6 and speaking before it emerged that three people had been hurt, said: 'A magnitude 4.6 earthquake has been recorded with its epicentre in Alhendín, felt across the four eastern provinces of Andalucia.
'More than half a hundred calls have been received reporting rockfalls and cracks, with no reports of personal injuries so far.'
It subsequently added in a statement on social media: 'Several earthquakes have been recorded in the metropolitan area of Granada.
'If you felt the earthquake, you are safe and your home has no damage, stay calm and avoid entering and leaving buildings unnecessarily. Do not use the lift.'
Damaged awnings hang from the wall of an apartment complex in the aftermath of an earthquake that struck southern Spain
A fallen street lamp lies atop a car parked on a street in the aftermath of an earthquake that struck southern Spain
Cracks on the wall of a building in the aftermath of an earthquake that struck southern Spain, in Granada
Pictured: Dust fills the air during the earthquake
Confirming the closure of municipal buildings, Granada City Council said in a statement: 'In light of the latest seismic activity recorded in the province, Granada City Council has decided, as a precautionary measure, to temporarily close all municipal buildings and facilities open to the public.'
Many people in Granada remained outside at midday after opting against staying indoors, with large groups of tourists and locals pictured sitting in streets and public squares.
Damage was reported on Calle Navas, a popular tapas street heavily frequented by tourists, where bars suspended business and police cordoned off areas because of falling cornice debris.
The Iglesia del Sagrario, which is attached to Granada Cathedral, was also closed and was expected to remain shut for the rest of the day.
Granada Football Club also shut its official shop, saying in a statement: 'Due to the seismic activity in recent hours and for safety reasons, the official store and ticket offices at the Stadium will remain closed until further notice.
'The remote customer service channels for season ticket holders will remain operational.'
Andalucia's Councillor for Health and Emergencies Antonio Sanz said: 'I am going to convene the advisory committee for the earthquake emergency plan imminently, once we have assessed the situation and, logically, continue taking measures from the standpoint of precaution, self-protection and prevention.'
There was no immediate information on the nationalities of those hurt, or how they had been injured.
Only one of the three casualties, the girl described as a minor whose age is not yet known, was taken to hospital.
Parts of the famous Alhambra tourist attraction have been evacuated.
Footage taken by locals showed rubble on the ground by police tape in a closed-off street.
One emergency responder could be overheard saying: 'It looks as if no-one was passing by at the time. Just as well.'
It was not immediately clear how much material damage had been done by the quake.
Another video published online showed the inside of an empty front room shaking in the tremor.
This is a breaking news story, more to follow.

By Daily Mail (World News) | Created at 2026-08-18 11:45:28 | Updated at 2026-08-18 12:02:56
27 minutes ago







