Israel Heats Up Ground Offensive In Gaza In Effort To Pressure Hamas To Return Hostages

By The Daily Wire (World News) | Created at 2025-04-02 19:45:09 | Updated at 2025-04-04 00:23:04 1 day ago

The Israel Defense Forces entered a new phase of the ground offensive in Gaza this week, pressuring Hamas to release the 59 hostages still in captivity.

The IDF is trying to establish the “Morag Corridor” to cut off Rafah from Khan Younis. This would help the IDF surround Rafah, which Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the move is an effort to increase pressure on Hamas “step by step.”

“We are now cutting off the Strip and we are increasing the pressure step by step… so they will give us our hostages,” Netanyahu said. “The longer they refuse to give them up, the more the pressure will increase until they do.”

The Morag Corridor is located where the Israeli settlement, Morag, stood before being forcibly evacuated during Israel’s 2005 withdrawal from Gaza.

The strategy is in line with other sectioning efforts by the IDF including controlling the Philadelphia Corridor that separates Gaza and Egypt as well as the Netzarim Corridor in central Gaza which splits Gaza’s north and south.

The IDF is close to controlling 30% of Gazan territory, a source told the Jerusalem Post. If Hamas does not agree to a new hostage deal soon, the larger invasion may be ordered, sources say.

The IDF issued an evacuation order to most areas of Rafah on Monday, telling residents that troops are returning to the area to fight “with great force to eliminate the capabilities of terrorist organizations in these areas.”

Overnight, the Israeli Air Force carried out strikes on more than 50 Hamas sites, with dozens more carried out during the day, the Times of Israel reported.

The IDF announced on Wednesday that troops in its 14th Brigade successfully encircled the Tel al-Sultan area in Rafah. Soldiers eliminated dozens of terrorists and dismantled weapons and terrorist infrastructure, according to the announcement.

“The only thing that can halt our further advance is the release of our hostages!” Chief of the General Staff in Gaza LTG Eyal Zamir said during a visit to Rafah. “Their return would allow our forces to reposition and enable the continuation of negotiations.”

Since the collapse of the ceasefire, Israel has eliminated more than a dozen Hamas leaders.

Many experts speculate that Israel was able to use the two-month ceasefire as an opportunity to gather intelligence about the whereabouts of Hamas leaders. Many of those killed were key to maintaining Hamas’ control over Gaza’s population, beyond just its militant operations.

Gazans took to the streets in the last week all around the strip, calling for an end to Hamas rule, in a rare display of opposition to the terrorist group. Protesters marched through Beit Lahiya in northern Gaza carrying white flags, demanding Hamas end its rule, and calling for the Israeli hostages to be released.

In response, Hamas has begun attacking protesters including Odai al-Rabei, a 22-year-Gazan who was abducted from Gaza City, tortured, and murdered by terrorists before being returned to his family home, according to his family.

Read Entire Article