More than 20 women have come forward to say they may have been sexually assaulted by a Chinese student convicted last month of raping 10 women, London police said on Wednesday after an international appeal.
Serial rapist Zou Zhenhao, who is due to be sentenced in June, targeted young Chinese women whom he invited to his flat for drinks or to study before drugging and attacking them.
He filmed some of the rapes with hidden or handheld cameras, his London trial was told. Of the 10 women cited in the trial, only two have been identified.
After his March 5 conviction, London’s Met police said they had evidence to suggest he could have targeted more than 50 other women and urged possible victims to come forward.
“Given how prolific Zou seems to have been, there is every potential he could be one of the most prolific offenders that we’ve ever seen,” the Met’s Commander Kevin Southworth said.
Southworth said 23 potential victims had contacted officers from “different parts of the globe”.