ABC has admitted that recent pressure from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) forced producers for The View to book far fewer political candidates as guests in recent months.
A suit filed by ABC Tuesday contained the confession, as the station seeks to quash enforcement proceedings started by the agency in February following an episode featuring then-Texas Democratic Senate candidate James Talarico.
The FCC's Donald Trump-appointed chairman, Brendan Carr, saw the spot as a violation of the equal time rule, which was originally meant to stop radio stations from swaying the outcomes of elections with candidate appearances nearly a century ago.
Exemptions enjoyed since the '90s allowed The View and certain late night shows free rein to book guests while being treated as 'bona fide newscasts.'
Carr's probe put the arrangement, and ABC's right to broadcast on public airwaves, under scrutiny.
The View has passed on 'booking several political candidates' as a result, the suit revealed. None have appeared since February.
The types of video clips the far-left opinion show airs have also been affected, according to another portion of the filing.
'Plaintiffs have chosen not to air clips that it otherwise would have aired during the Hot Topics segment of "The View" and also in the cold open of the program,' attorneys wrote.
A suit filed by ABC Tuesday revealed that recent pressure from the the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) forced View producers to book fewer political candidates over the past six months
ABC's suit alleged the administration is trying to punish ABC for speech it dislikes via an FCC probe into ABC and the opinion program and its right to broadcast on public airwaves. The probe was launched Donald Trump-appointed FCC Chairman Brendan Carr
ABC added such clips were barred because they could count as candidate 'appearances' under the near-century-old stipulation, and potentially be cited against the network in the FCC’s ongoing review.
'Although there have been no changes in the program’s editorial standards regarding the newsworthiness of any candidate who might otherwise have been invited during this period, the cumulative pressure from the FCC’s multiple actions against ABC has impacted the program’s decisions about which guests to invite.
'Those escalating pressures have led Plaintiffs to be more circumspect in booking political candidates on "The View," and have resulted in passing on further consideration of booking several political candidates,' ABC said
The View has hosted a few politicians and political figures within the review's span.
Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear, former Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, Connecticut Senator Chris Murphy, and former First Lady Jill Biden have all appeared since February 2. All are Democrats.
Prior to the review, Carr threatened to investigate ABC and its affiliates for 'news distortion' following a crack from Jimmy Kimmel about conservatives in September.
ABC's suit alleged the administration is trying to punish ABC for speech it dislikes by 'acting through the Federal Communications Commission.'
An ABC source stressed to the Daily Mail last month that The View has not been known to book non-elected political candidates and historically had a high bar for political interviews, the source said.
The View has hosted a few politicians and political figures since the review started, including former Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel
Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear, also a Democrat, was on on February 9, a week after a spot from then-Texas Democratic Senate candidate James Talarico caused Carr to start the review
Talarico, as the source indicated, was already a member of the Texas House of Representatives. He is also a rising presence in the Democratic party and went on to beat an also rising Jasmine Crockett in his race's Democratic primary.
ABC has argued that Carr’s scrutiny of its programming is 'unprecedented' and 'beyond the Commission’s authority.'
The network said such moves 'chill critical protected speech, both with respect to The View and more broadly.'
Carr has denied that the review stems from another crack from Kimmel in April, when the host said Melania Trump exuded the aura of an 'expectant widow.'
The FCC has not revoked a broadcast license in more than four decades, with the last instance occurring in 1969 in Jackson, Mississippi, following allegations of defending segregation on-air against WLBT-TV.
The View previously came under fire last year after a study from Media Research Center's NewsBusters found the show had welcomed 102 left-leaning guests during the first seven months of 2025 and 'zero conservatives.'
A source at the time pushed back on claims the program does not welcome conservative talking points.
Democratic Senator Chris Murphy, of Connecticut, was on in May. Exemptions enjoyed since the '90s allowed the View and certain late night shows to book guests regardless of whether they were campaigning or political affiliation
The FCC has not revoked a broadcast license in more than four decades, with the last instance occurring in 1969 in Jackson, Mississippi, following allegations of defending segregation on-air against WLBT-TV
'Without going into detail about the show's booking process, there is wide outreach across the aisle,' the insider told the Daily Mail.
The Daily Mail approached ABC News for comment.
The FCC is not part of the presidential administration and is an independent entity.

By Daily Mail (U.S.) | Created at 2026-08-19 15:11:49 | Updated at 2026-08-19 15:20:47
12 minutes ago








