US President Donald Trump would consider on Wednesday a final proposal related to TikTok ahead of an April 5 deadline for the app to find a non-Chinese buyer or face a US ban, a White House official told Reuters.
There would be a meeting at the Oval Office involving US Vice-President J.D. Vance, Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick, national security adviser Mike Waltz and Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard, said the official, confirming a CBS News report.
Private equity firm Blackstone was discussing joining ByteDance’s existing non-Chinese shareholders, led by Susquehanna International Group and General Atlantic, in contributing fresh capital to bid for TikTok’s US business, Reuters reported previously.
On Sunday, Trump said a deal with ByteDance to sell the short video app used by 170 million Americans would be struck before the deadline on April 5.
Trump set the deadline in January for TikTok to find a non-Chinese buyer or face a US ban on national security grounds due to have taken effect that month under a 2024 law.
US venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz was in discussions to invest in TikTok as part of an effort led by Trump to gain control of the app, the Financial Times reported on Tuesday.